Club Penguin Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Been a minute
Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty3/5/2022, 7:21 am by totelyawsome

» does anyone else come back here every once in a while
Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty20/2/2022, 7:46 am by totelyawsome

» Hey guys came here for a nostalgia trip
Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty16/2/2019, 1:09 pm by Boo492

» HELLO? Anyone still alive?
Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty22/1/2018, 3:36 am by totelyawsome

» Info
Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty3/6/2017, 2:36 pm by Maygirl2

» Waddle On
Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty30/3/2017, 10:45 am by Ccpenguin8

» MODDED ACCOUNTS FOR SALE
Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty10/10/2016, 3:17 pm by MODDED ACCOUNTS

» the thread where you can talk if you get bored and look this dump up again
Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty26/7/2016, 5:52 pm by Mango Smango

» Mod Application [Two TM positions opened]
Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty4/7/2016, 9:00 pm by Ccpenguin8

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 27 on 9/10/2022, 11:21 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Passwords (Follow-Up)

3 posters

Go down

Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty Passwords (Follow-Up)

Post  Breakthrough 2/10/2013, 1:41 am

Okay.. so most of you have seemed to vote in this poll.. if you haven't, you can go ahead and do it now. ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

So basically.. I know this is kinda random.. but if you ever meet me in real life.. you'll probably find out that I can be really random sometimes. But.. I just thought this was really cool, and might make keeping passwords in your brain alot easier.

First of all, if you are like CCP.. you might have a "master password" and other passwords for less used sites.. and this tool is great for remembering your passwords for almost any site. ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

Even if you don't do anything with your passwords, like I did, after reading this, even that browser extension could be a life saving tool you've learned about from this.

Anyway.. so the whole idea to remembering, and keeping passwords "Hack-free" is something called SALT + HASH.

The "SALT" is a phrase or set of words that you know, that you are familiar with, or just something easy to remember. So for an example, the SALT will be:
Donutshop (notice the capital D)

Now the HASH is a set of numbers from 1-5, and can be a set of 3,4,5 ect. numbers. 4 numbers is probably the minimum. For example, the HASH will be:

Now all you have to remember to know your password is "Donutshop" and "1241". Let me explain.

Say you are logging into twitter, ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) a password you can now use follows:
"Donutshoptwtt"

All I did was take the SALT and add the HASH to it. The HASH is the corresponding letters in the URL (after www) to the numbers in the HASH.
T-W-T-T
1-2-4-1

Now, most hackers use a script if they get your password, that runs your password through other sites, but since the 4 letters at the end change, if you loose one site's security, your other sites are safe.. unless the hacker decides to look into your password and notices the pattern.

The only place I've found where this doesn't work was on, ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) as the password requires a number in it, and all I did was add a number to the end. (1-9)

As I said, I'm random.
Breakthrough
Breakthrough
Hall Of Fame

http://Google.com

Back to top Go down

Passwords (Follow-Up) Empty Re: Passwords (Follow-Up)

Post  Arctic DJ 2/10/2013, 7:32 am

This is very helpful, thank you for posting this!

I might do this ^.^
Arctic DJ
Arctic DJ
Citizen Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ccpenguin8 6/10/2013, 2:31 pm

This is completely off-topic and irrelevant, but instead of using the goo.gl link shortener, there's a clubpeng.in one that I use which is pretty cool, since it's relevant for the forums - it's done by a site called Club Penguin Code; you might want to Google it. Well, I find it pretty useful, anyway.

Thanks for telling the community about 'LastPass' - it sounds like a cool service, but right now I just use Evernote to write down my passwords in noteform. Call me old-fashioned, but I like it. Razz

The SALT + HASH idea is simply fascinating - I'll have to try it sometime, although it does sound suspiciously like a mathematical formula. Razz

Who told you about it, anyway? It's a very good idea! In fact, it's so good that I'm stickying it for usefulness to the community. Smile

Keep up the amazing posting work,

Ccpenguin8
CPF Super Moderator
Ccpenguin8
Ccpenguin8
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

http://clubpenguinblog.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Breakthrough 6/10/2013, 9:18 pm

Ccpenguin8 wrote:This is completely off-topic and irrelevant, but instead of using the goo.gl link shortener, there's a clubpeng.in one that I use which is pretty cool, since it's relevant for the forums - it's done by a site called Club Penguin Code; you might want to Google it. Well, I find it pretty useful, anyway.

Thanks for telling the community about 'LastPass' - it sounds like a cool service, but right now I just use Evernote to write down my passwords in noteform. Call me old-fashioned, but I like it. Razz

The SALT + HASH idea is simply fascinating - I'll have to try it sometime, although it does sound suspiciously like a mathematical formula. Razz

Who told you about it, anyway? It's a very good idea! In fact, it's so good that I'm stickying it for usefulness to the community. Smile

Keep up the amazing posting work,

Ccpenguin8
CPF Super Moderator
My technology teacher told me about it, and I thought it was cool, so I decided to post it.
Breakthrough
Breakthrough
Hall Of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post  Ccpenguin8 9/10/2013, 10:47 pm

Technology teacher, eh? That's interesting. Technology as in Design and Technology (the art subject) or IT? Probably the latter - I've never heard of a DT teacher talking about passwords. Razz
Ccpenguin8
Ccpenguin8
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Breakthrough 10/10/2013, 1:16 am

Ccpenguin8 wrote:Technology teacher, eh? That's interesting. Technology as in Design and Technology (the art subject) or IT? Probably the latter - I've never heard of a DT teacher talking about passwords. Razz
Class is called "Exploring Technology", its just a general class introducing many ideas about technology, and the internet. I'm only taking it since its a requirement to have a semester so I can take Graphics Design 1 this January. Hes a cool teacher though.
Breakthrough
Breakthrough
Hall Of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post  Ccpenguin8 16/10/2013, 11:42 pm

Graphics Design, eh? We don't do much of that as a lesson in the UK. You should make some threads in the Graphics section - there are lots of good graphics designers here who might be able to give you some tips. Smile 

(RA and Mango, THIS MEANS YOU Razz)
Ccpenguin8
Ccpenguin8
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Breakthrough 17/10/2013, 1:42 am

Ccpenguin8 wrote:Graphics Design, eh? We don't do much of that as a lesson in the UK. You should make some threads in the Graphics section - there are lots of good graphics designers here who might be able to give you some tips. Smile 

(RA and Mango, THIS MEANS YOU Razz)
I've had my share of Graphic designing in the past. I just want to have a class that interests me.. unlike the other nonsense you have to be in (i.e. ENGLISH.. -.-). It'll be good.
Breakthrough
Breakthrough
Hall Of Fame

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down